Monday, March 17, 2014

A Dog Named Christmas...

Her name is "Noera," which means Christmas in the Tahitian language. She was an abandoned, very abused dog and found on the island's garbage belt on Christmas day.
Today she is my most faithful companion, always nestled beneath my chair while I am writing away on my computer.

I have written about Noera in one of my book chapters too. Not only because she gives me so much joy and I have come to love her to bits but because animals and "paradise" do not always go well together. Most dogs are loved during the puppy stage only and then either abandoned, abused or raised to end up on the family BBQ. Shocking? Yes, but still a hidden fact and part of the cultural life on these islands. Especially the brown or rather yellow dogs as they are called, are the favorite, with most dog-eating people thinking that any other color has bad "mana" or spiritual powers.

Over the past few months, Noera has learned to trust me, she is no longer scared when I have a broom in my hands to sweep the floor, she loves her new bed, probably the first in her life, and her collar, which at first made her jump up into the sky before I was able to put it on.  I am truly happy being able to provide her with a safe home and to make a difference in her life!

Noera
Happy Christmas

2 comments:

  1. LOVE hour new blog -- gorgeous photos too. Great photos of Noera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! She has come a very long way!

    ReplyDelete